Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Review #9: Julie/Julia by Julie Powell

Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously.

Review:
My desire to read this book came after I saw the movie. Normally I like to read a book before I see the movie, but in this case I just really wanted to see the movie. After I watched it, I got curious about the book.

The book is mainly a nonfiction memoir of a year of obsessive cooking. There are little elements of creative nonfiction interspersed throughout when Julie Powell imagines dialogue and scenarios that Julia Child lived based on her husband's letters and such.

The contrast between Julia Child's life and Julie Powell's life is not so great in the book because the book is mainly just about Julie Powell. And while I definitely enjoyed the Julia Child part of the movie, I sincerely enjoyed getting to know Julie Powell through the book. She was much more entertaining in the book with a much fouler mouth. Reading her descriptions of some of the cooking situations, like trying to get the marrow out of a cow bone or making a beef aspic, made the book grossly hilarious.

I would say to anyone who enjoyed the movie that the book is a must read.

No comments:

Post a Comment